There is a long-standing myth that a great user experience (UX) is a nice-to-have. For companies selling software and apps, it is a myth...Read More
SaaS UI Design: The Importance of Interface DesignUI Design
SaaS is a very popular delivery model that enables users to access online services over the internet, usually with a subscription. This means that users are not required to download or install software on individual computers, since they are available in the cloud.
Research shows that SaaS is the largest segment of the cloud market and is expected to keep on growing every year. However, complex architectures and features often prevent SaaS companies to build user-friendly SaaS product – which confirms the need for UI design.
The Basics of SaaS UI Design
When you design a UI dashboard for SaaS applications, it needs to quickly and easily provide users with access to the most relevant features or data. But they should also enjoy the overall experience and visual design of the interface, which is why the best UI dashboard designs will include these features:
- Effective navigation
- Clear data visualisation
- User research and analysis
- Clean layouts and designs
Effective navigation starts with a global structure of the application, including links to the main features, tools, and settings of the SaaS product. Users should not need to go through multiple menus to find the information they need.
A lot of data can become confusing, which is why clear data visualization is important in any UI design. For example, instead of using rows and columns of data, visualize this with charts, graphs, and tables for the user to see.
A clear layout makes it easy to scroll and find the information you need, as opposed to a cluttered design that keeps users from finding what they want. One dashboard UI strategy to keep things simple is to analyze every element on the screen of the user dashboard and determine its relevance to the overall application.
User research is essential to good SaaS UI design. User research requires multiple sources:
- User testing
- Card sorting
- User personas
- Field studies
- Market research
The Latest UI Dashboard Trends
The best dashboard UI designs tend to include innovative features for the user, helping the interface stand out from the competition. These trends can include:
- Mobility. Designing a mobile dashboard UI is essential for modern applications, as more people now use smartphones and tablets to complete tasks.
- Colour blocking. Colour blogging is a design strategy where you create more visually appealing features in your user interface. Avoid monochrome designs that use too many colours, and use bright colours to hep balance the background.
- Dynamic sorting. Users can easily compile different data sets through dynamic sorting, and this should include multiple criteria for filtering information.
- Interactivity. Users tend to enjoy interactive elements in a design. Adding sliders, overlays, and filters increase user engagement.
Along with these dashboard UI trends, your SaaS product can benefit from the expertise of a highly-skilled UI design agency. Working with professional SaaS designers ensures that your application includes the fundamental components needed to create a quality user interface and benefit from having a competitive advantage over others.
With Seedboost you can get SaaS UX design for your business at an affordable price, to streamline and optimize your user experience. Schedule a free consultation today.